The Irish Amateur Archery Association is fully committed to safeguarding the well being of its members. Every individual in the organisation should at all times show respect and understanding for members’ rights, safety and welfare and conduct themselves in a way that reflects the principles of the organisation and the guidelines contained in the Code of Ethics and Good Practice for Children’s Sport .
The guidance given in this code of conduct is based on the principles set out in the following publications:
- Code of Ethics and Good Practice for Children’s Sport, Irish Sports Council and Sports Council Northern Ireland, 2000, (reviewed in 2006).
- Children First: National Guidelines for the Protection and Welfare of Children, Dept. of Health & Children 1999
- Our Duty to Care, Dept. of Health & Children 2002
- Our Duty to Care,(DHSS) 2002
- Children (NI) Order, 1995
- Co-operating to Safeguard Children, (NI), 2003
- Area Child Protection Committee Regional Policy and Procedures, (NI), 2005
The aim of this code is to promote good practice by everyone involved in the sport of archery and to provide a safe, healthy and enjoyable environment for young members
Core Values in Young People’s Sport
The Irish Amateur Archery Association’s approach to Children’s Sport is based on the following principles that will guide the development of sport for young people, (as outlined in page 9 of the Sports Councils joint document, Code of Ethics and Good Practice for Children’s Sport):
- Young people’s experience of sport should be guided by what is best for them.
- The stages of development and the ability of the young person determine the types of activity provided within the club.
- Adults must have a basic understanding of the needs of young people, including their physical, emotional and personal needs.
- In the Irish Amateur Archery Association our first priority is the welfare of the young people and we are fully committed to providing an environment which will allow participants to perform to the best of their ability, free from bullying and intimidation.